27 April 2009

Listening to music, not making it

Sam Prekop and Archer Prewitt of Sea and Cake are, collectively, one of the greatest guitar duos in music. Their interplay, completely intuitive logic, and tonal compliments are unparalelled and put them on par with Verlaine/Lloyd, Downing/Tipton, and even the two guitarists from Deerhoof. As the Bad Plus (whom I recently saw as well) once described, it's the sound of the instruments each doing something separate and immersing, but somehow clicking at the same time. And Prewitt's jazzy logic dazzled me.

Headliners Mountains took a moment to get going and had to contend with the visual clutter of themselves onstage reaching for several different instruments and then digitally knob-twiddling. But their layering of noise was masterful and by the end of the show I was having visions of my future life and domestic destiny. I also found it appealing that they didn't have visual projections or other distractions, although I can see those working very well in some context with their music.

Extra Golden and Icy Demons rocked me over this period of time, as well as Cave.